Thursday, December 3, 2009

Essay #9 irony

Cooper Feltes
Mr. Salsich
English 8
December 2nd, 2009



Irony:










Examples of Irony in To Kill a Mockingbird and My Life



       What a boring world we would be immersed in if irony were non-existant. The dramatic, ironic things have a tendency to spice up every day of our lives. It seemed as though this morning, for instance, I thought the sky was so clear and beautiful, then I was late for school. It's the big and little ironic things like this that make our lives, and the lives of To Kill a Mockingbird, more hospitable.


       To Kill a Mockingbird takes irony head on. While Atticus  explained information to a group of angry men, Scout decides to step in and try to defend him. After leaping out of her hiding place, she tries to gather the attention of the gentleman. She strikes a conversation with Mr. Cunningham that grabs the attention of the men, who are flabbergasted that a little girl has enough courage to stand up to a group that large and with such negative ambitions. Until Mr. Cunningham finally started to talk, Scout was embarrased and hoping he would respond. Mr. Cunningham was caught by surprise that out of a large group, Scout had to choose him. It is also ironic and peculiar that Scout only recognized him and no one else in the large group. When this courageous little girl arrived, the men did the best they could to push her away. Whenever she paused to wait for a response from Mr. Cunningham, one of the men would make clear her presence wasn't acceptable. This calmed as she persuaded Mr. Cunningham into conversation. Ironic events like this do make for an exiting chapter.

       My parents seemingly force irony upon my life. My parents know that I am extremely obedient, for I usually do what they say without question. Every time I comply with their demands, they depend on what I do a little more each day. This has, in the past, grown to the point where I feel like a slave. I am expected by my parents to do things for them. Every day I think of finally saying no to, "hey Cooper can you do me a big, big, big favor" or, Hey Cooper come up to the Proxy-Connection: keep-alive
Cache-Control: max-age=0

tchen for a sec, I have a task for you". It is ironic that I break down and say "yes" when my brain tells me to say "no". It seems to me that my compensation for my labor is too little. To the best of my recollection, I can't remember ever saying no to any of my parent's demands. Although it may sound greedy, my parents don't give me enough appreciation for what I do. Next time my parents ask me for something, NO will be their answer.


       Irony, though most visible in movies and drama, exposes itself in every day life. In books and T.V. shows, ironic events make the reader's or viewer's experience more exiting and in-depth. Yet, To Kill a Mockingbird's author, Harper Lee, really has taken the excitement of the book to a new level through the use of irony. Don't overlook what kind of ironic things happen in your life every day. Whether it be seeing the same bird two days in a row, or smelling a scent you were craving to smell, these events help motivate us to get through that day in a pleasurable manner.

1 comment:

Fasha said...

Great writing. Ironic this contact: you and me, over a safe typed text, on a writing that contains such honest and healthy self expression regarding parental burdens. Lucky for you that this is an important concern, not one such as a desire to be safe, warm or fed. U R gr8 in grade 8!