Monday, January 11, 2010

AFL visit #3


Visit 3 
January 6, 2010

    Wednesday is definitely the busiest day at AFL. When I first arrived I was greeted by a tall man named "Slim" that showed me how to fill orders made by members. Besides finding for members without them, AFL offers groceries on Wednesday for them when their income doesn't compensate. "Slim" brought me down the old, gated elevator and into the basement where the pantry was located, walked me around, and showed me how to fill grocery orders requested by the member. The rest of my visit was very unfulfilling. For one and a half hours I sat at the reception desk trying to figure out how to transfer calls to voicemail correctly. One member I saw was a character I would like to take note of here. This woman was one I met right in front the elavator, and the first thing I noticed was her blue lipstick, her makeup blended face, and her denying of being able to write her own name. Thinking of it now, I see what a well educated world I am surrounded by. In our own world, there are millions of people that cant write, or even read their own name. Taking into consideration that there is a world outside of my life, I know now all the challenges people face everyday adapting to the modern world.   

No comments: