Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Essay #20 Family





Cooper Feltes
English 8
Mr. Salsich
April 20, 2010
Parents:
The Relationship between Parents and Children

Parents are very important in the growing process of a child. Parents can support their child through emotional struggles, or just spend a lot of time with them. Parents can also let their child find their own way through life with very little support. My parents have chosen the first tactic, and have been a large influence to my life.

Compared to some other parents, my parents treat me with a lot more respect. To get that honor from my parents, I must honor them. For example, every time they ask me to do something, I do it. This kind of accountability and trust is crucial to a reasonable and respectful relationship (alliteration) with my parents. Though my parents are separated, they both need my help, and I am happy to graciously (apt thesaurus word) assist them. Though I have much more of a chore work load at my father’s house, I try to pitch in the same amount at each home. This allows for a more admirable family coherence. In return for my work, my parents pay me with love. Each of my parents constantly reminds me how much they love me and how obedient I am. It is known in my family that love is omnipresent, and that good deeds completed honorably will lead to nothing but good. I love my parents for they treat me with respect, and therefore, I must treat them the same way.

I believe that the presence of a well nurtured father- child relationship is obvious, or absent in the books that we have read in English class. Atticus from To Kill a Mockingbird and my father deeply respect all other people. For instance, Atticus never forgets to kindly tip his hat to a lady or to comment on their 
exquisite (apt thesaurus word) flowers. My dad is similar, although in a more whacky way. (Extra commentary) He is always a thoughtful gentleman, yet he tends to make more jokes and "play with his words", as he likes to say, more than Atticus ever did. Atticus and my father are very hard workers, intelligent learners, and playful fathers (parallelism). Though they spend much of their time at the office, they make plenty of time for their children. Both Atticus and my father are playful fathers, doing activities and playing games with their kids in their spare time. This father-child relationship does not seem to be apparent in Romeo and Juliet. In the play, the fathers of any of the main characters have only been mentioned around twice. The friendly children of the story seem to be very independent and the boys especially are out of their parents influence, running free all day and only reporting to their homes for meals (Loose Sentence). (Extra commentary) Juliet, however, is influenced by her father to marry a man she is not interested in. The loving fathers of these two books, as well as my father, have made a major impact on their children in one way or another.

Parents have an option of how to raise their child. They can be very loving and supportive of their child, or they can let them be independent, discovering the world on their own. Both tactics have their benefits and their disadvantages. From To Kill a Mockingbird and Romeo and Juliet, we can see that either way, the child can grow to be a proper man or woman.

---------------------------------------------
Self-assessment,

                            This paragraph was fun for me to write. I really got to examine how the characters in the book develop through their childhood through the help of their parents. The very last sentence of the essay was the absolute trickiest sentence to form. I might have been able to make this sentence clearer. I love the adjectives and the “bell words” I used in this essay. It is a definite strong point I see. I need to learn to spot little mistakes better than I have in the past. These mistakes affect my grade, which I have chosen to be:
B

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cooper,
I really enjoy reading your writing, it has a very nice flow to it. In your first paragraph you don't really talk to much about admiring your family however. I think that if you just change a couple things around you could make this into a very good essay.
-Dan

Ryan Duguay said...

Cooper,
I love how you took all of the CM, SD, CS, etc. indicators out. This really makes your paragraph look more formal. I think that you could make the TS of the second paragraph more exciting. This sentence feels like it could be a really good sentence to hook the reader with. Also, I think that it might help to add the names of the too books at the beginning of the essay.