Thursday, April 8, 2010

Essay #19 Fix You

Cooper Feltes
English 8
Mr. Salsich
April 8, 2010

"Fix You"

    The song "Fix You" by Coldplay Is a great song. Because the lyrics relate to my life and the life of Romeo in Romeo and Juliet, this song really means a lot to me. Though this song touches upon sad topics, I can find times in my life when the lyrics of this song make perfect sense. "Fix You" fits in perfectly to my life and in Romeo and Juliet.

    Name: "Fix you"/ Time: (4:55)/ Artist: Coldplay/ Album: X&Y/ Genre: Alternative/ Play Count: 11; No it's not my favorite song, but it means more to me than any other song in the world. Starting off with an organ playing, Chris Martin says," When you try your best but you don't succeed, when you get what you want but not what you need. When you feel so tired but you can't sleep, stuck in reverse". These lyrics embraced (thesaurus word) me when I first heard them. I often do find myself yawning and lying in bed, but not falling asleep, or trying so hard on a quiz and getting a C+. Similarly, When I "loose somethin' [I] can't replace", I can't stop thinking about the things I have lost, such as missed opportunities. Martin goes on about things that make both him and I sad. In another song of his, he says "curse missed opportunities", which is something I do everyday. "The tears stream down my face" when possessions are lost, never to be replaced. These thing are set aside in my mind when he finishes the song with "lights will guide you home, and ignite your bones, and I will try... to fix you".

    “Fix You” definitely relates to Romeo and Juliet. First of all, the emotional side of the song relates to Romeo.  On page 19, when Benvolio is talking to Romeo's father, he says that Romeo has become become moody and emotional. I would bet that Romeo would much like the song I have picked out for it's relations to his life. On page 21, Romeo is again describing his feelings by exclaiming opposites like, “O heavy lightness” or “cold fire, sick health”. Though the song doesn’t exactly exclaim opposites,  it does mention things that make a person hurt, a feeling that is felt almost every day. Romeo is feeling things like, “los[ing] something [he] can’t replace” or “lov[ing] someone but it goes to waste”. It seems to me that this song just might have been one of Romeo’s favorite songs, had it been released in his time.

    Romeo, living in the 1500's, unfortunately, never experienced this song. If he had, I imagine he would get the same feeling I do, a feeling of love. I imagine he would get a feeling of anguish, or sorrow, and I imagine he and I would have a similar experience if we listen to "Fix You" together (tricolon). "Fix You" makes me feel more emotions at a single moment in time than any other song I know of.

---------------------------------------
Self-assessment

This essay was a very emotional essay for me to write. I must have listened to the song over and over again around eight times until I could finish the first body paragraph. I am still working on writing in a more formal manner. in multiple areas of this essay especially, I see points where it sounds like I am informally talking to myself. I do, however, like all the quotes and the amount of emotion I put into it. I could have incorporated my quotes into the sentences more, rather than using them as their own sentence. Self grade=B+

No comments: